Search This Blog

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Moon Phases

I watched this webinar by Mr. Gant because my fourth grade students are tested on the day/night cycle, phases of the moon, and seasonal changes.  The moon poster is an excellent way for students to remember the sequence of the phases. As a science teacher I am always finding ways to integrate music to encourage student engagement in learning , so I  encourage my fellow song birds to use Mr. Lee's Moon Phases Rap found on YouTube as a way to hook students.  The link to the song is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79M2lSVZiY4 . I found the lyrics on teacherspayteachers for free at http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Phases-of-the-Moon-Rap-Lyrics-780145. 
I found a free powerpoint at http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Earths-DayNight-Year-Seasons-How-Rotation-Revolution-Tilt-Cause-It-All-636719  that I used with my students to help them remember what causes day/night, seasons, and a year.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I am a first year teacher, so I haven't had the chance to teach a lesson on the moon phases in a classroom, yet. However, I have had the opportunity to teach this lesson to my fellow peers in the VSU classroom setting. We used Oreo cookies to model the phases of the moon and ended up drawing and labeling a mini poster / graph of the moon phases. Everyone loved it and had a blast during the lesson. However, I will warn you all that it can bet a bit tricky to remove the cookie piece from the creme and a bit messy to slice off proper amount of creme to adequately demonstrate that particular moon phase.

    ReplyDelete