Search This Blog

Sunday, June 15, 2014

John Roberts - Science and heat

I thought the webinar presentation by Mr. John Roberts was very interesting.  I will be a first year teacher in August, but I have had experience teaching students about heat and energy.  Last semester, I taught a science unit on energy to my 2nd grade class, during my solo portion of student teaching.  Part of the energy unit covered heat.  We conducted a fun experiment on heat by utilizing a homemade solar oven to make S'mores.  The experiment was fun and the students were able to see how the sun's solar energy produced heat, to heat the S'mores.  This also touched on which colors hold heat better and touched slightly on how heat moves from something warm, to something cold.  The materials we used were as follows:

Solar oven:
Empty, clean pizza box
Clear plastic wrap / cling wrap (optional - used to keep bugs out)
black construction paper
Aluminum foil

S'Mores:
Graham crackers
Hersey's Chocolate Bar
Large marshmallows

The experiment was a lot of fun!  We discussed all the details of why the solar oven heated the S'mores and I had the students explain the process of how heat transfers from something warm to something cold.  

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also done this s' mores activity with my third graders. It is a great way to show how solar energy can be used. The kids love it!

    ReplyDelete